God has really been teaching us how He is in control. No matter what we try to plan for ourselves, He has the ultimate say. We have learned this throughout our lives but never as clearly as in this past month. Our missions plans for Bolivia have taken a sharp detour as we have recently learned we're expecting our first child this March!
This news was met with excitement and joy, but also with confusion as we were certain the Lord had called us to serve in Bolivia. The idea of continuing our one-year trip as planned now seems out of the question. Currently we are at about 35% of the funds needed to go. Obviously God can make anything happen, but it is looking like we wouldn't reach 100% until late winter/early spring, which would put us right around the time of our due date. It doesn't make sense to us to travel to a foreign county just to have a baby. We wouldn't be able to serve the way we both want to as we'd be totally wrapped up in learning how to take care of our newborn.
As of now our options are limited. International Teams suggested going to Bolivia now for a shorter period of time and coming back before the baby is due. They said we could also choose to take a group with us and lead a two-week trip serving at the Center. We asked our doctor about traveling overseas and she did not recommend it because of required vaccinations that would be risky for Jeana and the baby as well as other health concerns regarding the quality of water and related sicknesses. This leaves us with two choices. The first is to delay until after the baby is born, take him or her with us and in the meantime continue to raise funds. The last option is to cancel completely, designating our funds to another ITeams mission or to the Center in Bolivia.
We are praying hard through all these options and we ask you to lift us up in prayer as we try to discern God's will. We want to make sure it's not our comfort or selfish desires that make the decision for us.
Thank you for walking alongside us during this journey. Our hearts are saddened as we've asked so much of you, and now are faced with the possibility that your support may not come to fruition in the way originally planned.
Above all we know that God's timing is perfect. We are overjoyed that He has entrusted us with one of His children. We are so blessed to have the love and support of two very proud and excited families, as well as a wonderful church family. We know that God will continue to provide as He prepares us for all that is to come.